Retail Audio Statistics
In September 2004, Arbitron, Inc., the undisputed leader in media research, interviewed a total of 1,002 people to investigate America's awareness of retail audio broadcasting and the advertising it carries. Telephone interviews were conducted with respondents age 18 and over chosen at random from a national sample of Arbitron's Spring 2004 survey diarykeepers. The results are clear: in-store messaging works!
Effects of Retail Audio
- 70% of shoppers who recall hearing retail audio advertisements find the commercials and announcements to be very or somewhat helpful to their shopping experience
- 41% of shoppers who heard retail audio advertisements made an unplanned purchase.
- 37% of shoppers who heard retail audio advertisements purchased a different brand of product from the one they originally intended.
Retail Audio Audience Awareness
- 67% of shoppers recall hearing retail audio during their most recent store visit.
- 54% of shoppers recall hearing retail audio and retail audio advertisement in a recent store visit.
- 67% of shoppers recall hearing music programmed for the retail environment, rather than local radio.
- Shopper: Primary household shopper.
- Retail Audio: Music that is broadcast over the sound system within a store.
- Retail Audio Advertisement: Spots or promotional announcements trat are broadcast during retail audio.
Source: The Arbitron Retail Media Study